Visit out new forum: http://elitespins.niceboard.com/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Visit out new forum: http://elitespins.niceboard.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
There is currently a new forum in the works, and its near completion! Feel free to check it out. Sign up! http://elitespins.niceboard.com/

A guide to cutting hair

Go down 
+13
@iRam
Imfamus
Static Shock
Atlboy
RI5E2POW3R
Waveaholic
Jayrock
jiggy terp
D.E.E.Z.Y.
Sid
KBezzy
Heartbreak_Dre
andrelavelle
17 posters
AuthorMessage
andrelavelle
Superstar Spinna
Superstar Spinna
andrelavelle

Male
Number of posts : 229
A guide to cutting hair Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100A guide to cutting hair Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-02-02

A guide to cutting hair Empty
PostSubject: A guide to cutting hair   A guide to cutting hair Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 3:22 pm

What's good peeps, I get a lot of pm's about cutting hair and the correct tools to use. I have put a little something together for you guys with some websites that you can find clippers at lower prices than the beauty supply store. Ok so here we go

I am mainly going to focus on African American hair well because that's what the majority of us are. First thing that you should know is how unique Afican American hair is. Due to the fact that we are a mix of differnet races that makes our hair very unique! Our hair varies from person to person when it comes to the texture! Our hair follices are curved giving the hair "spring like action" that makes our hair curl.... This is the main reason why we don't have a hard time getting waves as a person with straight hair would.

Guards...
Here is the standard
#1 1/16
#2 1/8
#3 1/4
#4 3/8
#5 1/2
#6 3/4

Rarely will you ever have use the 6 guard unless you are doing an afro cut.
Clippers...
Personally i would reccomend a clipper that has an adjustable fade arm such as the andis masters or like the whal senior clippers. Me personally I use the andis master clippers. To achieve the 1.5 cut wtg attach the #1 gurard and adjust the clippers wide open. Meaning the fade arm is on the last notch. That last notch is what gives you the .5. So if you wanted to get a 2.5 wtg attch the #2 gurad and open them to the last notch.
For the number one cut just attach the #1 guard and have the fade arm in the closed postion. Same process if you wanted a #2 wtg just attach the #2 guard with the clippers in the closed position.
Cutting time!
Make sure that you wash your hair the day before you get it cut.Especially if you have waves the apply a light amount of moistrizer and brush it in and rag it up!
now before you cut you want to comb your hair throughly! While you are combing your hair you are feeling it out for your swirl and irregularities in growth.
Now if you are cutting wtg you want to cut with the grain in the direction that your hair grows!this is the only way that you will achieve the most even cut you possibly can cutting wtg!
When you get to that swirl you want to only use the corner (last 3 teeth of the clipper) and cut in the direction that it grows. If you want to be careful attach the next guard size up and cut with the grain! never use the full blade when cutting the swirl becasue you WILL leave a gap in your head or your clients head!
The Line up

take your time beacuse this is the most important part of the cut. You want to stay on the natural hair line ONLY cutting the loose hairs around the line! UWith the trimmer ease up to the line carefully shape that line up. For the front line you want to start in the middle of the line then work your way to the corner either right or left. Then go back to the middle and go to the other corner. Make sure that you are brushing the hairline so that you get all the loose hairs for the "sharp" line up!
For the sides you want to use your finger as a pivoit point to get arond the curve> I use my index finger to pivot my trimmer. I place the index finger on the forehead and use it as a pivot point to get the curve part of the line sharp as possible.
For the back you want to get and handheld mirror. Follow that line down in it's natural direction! behind the ear is tricky. You can use the trimmer to push your ear down and get that area or you can use your pinky to push the ear down and line it up.
When you are cutting wtg you ahve to remember that that there is the possibility that the cut might not be uniform. Meaning compelety even you want to train your eyes to watch the grain and make sure you are cutting n the direction it grows.

Cutting against the grain

cutting atg is virturally error proof. atg is just the opposite of wtg. Atg is the way that I like to cut beaccause it lasts longer and is totally even. the One thing that you want to remember is that when you are cutting atg is to cut all the way to the swirl. In the oppiste direction that the hair grows! of for the same lenght of a 1.5 wtg you want to attach a #2 gurad with the clippers adjusted half way between open and closed and go atg. Atg lifts the hair so that it prevents it from curling up. The end result is a more uniform cut! When you cut atg brush the hair back down. tTo finish up the cut yu want to attach a smaller guard and adjust the clippers wide open and finish wtg to lay it back down

Here are some pics
Photobucket
atg cut
Photobucket
same #2 guard cut wtg
Photobucket
this is my little bro.
Okay peeps if there are any questions hit me with a pm. I will do a taper guide and a rzor line guide too
http://stores.atlantabarber.com/StoreFront.bok
this is one of the best places to get babrering needs at great prices

Last edited by andrelavelle on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Heartbreak_Dre
Superstar Spinna
Superstar Spinna
Heartbreak_Dre

Male
Number of posts : 235
Originated Wave Site : WB | HB
A guide to cutting hair Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100A guide to cutting hair Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-05-21

PostSubject: Re: A guide to cutting hair   A guide to cutting hair Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 3:24 pm

Good Shit
This should be sticky'd
Back to top Go down
KBezzy
Admin
Admin
KBezzy

Male
Number of posts : 425
Originated Wave Site : WB
A guide to cutting hair Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100A guide to cutting hair Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-08-25

PostSubject: Re: A guide to cutting hair   A guide to cutting hair Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 3:24 pm

I promised new things here it is people a guide to cutting your own hair. Hoepfully yall learn something from this and thanks Dre

+ 1 REP point
Back to top Go down
Sid
Certified DIPlomat
Certified DIPlomat

Male
Number of posts : 715
A guide to cutting hair Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100A guide to cutting hair Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-03-07

PostSubject: Re: A guide to cutting hair   A guide to cutting hair Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 3:56 pm

rep points this is gonna help me alot
Back to top Go down
D.E.E.Z.Y.
DIPlomat
DIPlomat
D.E.E.Z.Y.

Male
Number of posts : 151
Originated Wave Site : 360waves.net
A guide to cutting hair Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100A guide to cutting hair Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-05-28

PostSubject: Re: A guide to cutting hair   A guide to cutting hair Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 3:58 pm

Good stuff drel real good cut info clap
Back to top Go down
jiggy terp
360 VETERAN
360 VETERAN
jiggy terp

Male
Number of posts : 826
A guide to cutting hair Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100A guide to cutting hair Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-03-06

PostSubject: Re: A guide to cutting hair   A guide to cutting hair Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 4:11 pm

No doubt. Good work. Rep added.
Back to top Go down
Jayrock
360 VETERAN
360 VETERAN
Jayrock

Male
Number of posts : 778
Originated Wave Site : kaptainmoney.com

Registration date : 2007-10-01

PostSubject: Re: A guide to cutting hair   A guide to cutting hair Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 4:22 pm

Bookmarked,+1 rep point

"Our hair follices are curved giving the hair "spring like action" that makes our hair curl.... This is the main reason why we don't have a hard time getting waves as a person with straight hair would."

clap clap
Back to top Go down
http://www.teensearningcash.blogspot.com
Jayrock
360 VETERAN
360 VETERAN
Jayrock

Male
Number of posts : 778
Originated Wave Site : kaptainmoney.com

Registration date : 2007-10-01

PostSubject: Re: A guide to cutting hair   A guide to cutting hair Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 4:27 pm

Big Sid wrote:

Look out everybody,sid is gonna be a professional barber and master the techniques rofl
Back to top Go down
http://www.teensearningcash.blogspot.com
Sid
Certified DIPlomat
Certified DIPlomat

Male
Number of posts : 715

Registration date : 2009-03-07

PostSubject: Re: A guide to cutting hair   A guide to cutting hair Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 4:38 pm

Jayrock wrote:
Big Sid wrote:

Look out everybody,sid is gonna be a professional barber and master the techniques rofl

Neutral heyfu
Back to top Go down
Waveaholic
DIPlomat
DIPlomat
Waveaholic

Male
Number of posts : 148
Originated Wave Site : 360 waves (like 360 and sbwaves)
A guide to cutting hair Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100A guide to cutting hair Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: A guide to cutting hair   A guide to cutting hair Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 4:43 pm

Good topic.
I can use this.
Rep added.
Back to top Go down
RI5E2POW3R
DIPlomat
DIPlomat
RI5E2POW3R

Male
Number of posts : 167
A guide to cutting hair Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100A guide to cutting hair Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: A guide to cutting hair   A guide to cutting hair Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 5:11 pm

this will help me out when i give myself a tape up....good luk my dude
*reps*
Back to top Go down
Atlboy
Superstar Spinna
Superstar Spinna
Atlboy

Male
Number of posts : 384
Originated Wave Site : http://www.wavebuilder.com/

Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: A guide to cutting hair   A guide to cutting hair Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 5:26 pm

Good post clap
Back to top Go down
Static Shock
Superstar Spinna
Superstar Spinna
Static Shock

Male
Number of posts : 201

Registration date : 2007-08-22

PostSubject: Re: A guide to cutting hair   A guide to cutting hair Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 5:39 pm

the shit should be stickied
Back to top Go down
Static Shock
Superstar Spinna
Superstar Spinna
Static Shock

Male
Number of posts : 201

Registration date : 2007-08-22

PostSubject: Re: A guide to cutting hair   A guide to cutting hair Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 11:04 pm

rep piont
Back to top Go down
Imfamus
Wave-Sensei
Wave-Sensei
Imfamus

Male
Number of posts : 543
Originated Wave Site : Wavebuilder.... R.I.P.

Registration date : 2009-01-31

PostSubject: Re: A guide to cutting hair   A guide to cutting hair Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 11:23 pm

I was going make a thread like this but laziness got the best of me....good shit andrelavelle clap
Back to top Go down
@iRam
Off Topic Moderator
Off Topic Moderator
@iRam

Male
Number of posts : 1431

Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: A guide to cutting hair   A guide to cutting hair Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 11:30 pm

nice i dont add rep...why?bc its pointless but yea nice job and razor lining is easy if done right been doing it since 8th grade
Back to top Go down
Hollidizzle 4 Shizzle
Admin
Admin
Hollidizzle 4 Shizzle

Male
Number of posts : 572
Originated Wave Site : Wavebuilder.... R.I.P.

Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: A guide to cutting hair   A guide to cutting hair Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 7:17 am

*applause* holliday
Back to top Go down
B-Smoove
Ripplemania
Ripplemania
B-Smoove

Male
Number of posts : 55

Registration date : 2009-06-08

PostSubject: Re: A guide to cutting hair   A guide to cutting hair Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 9:09 am

Very nice work
Back to top Go down
Jerz
Jerz

Male
Number of posts : 1726
Originated Wave Site : SlaveBuilder R.I.P SpinCity Rest In Shit

Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: A guide to cutting hair   A guide to cutting hair Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 1:31 pm

dope shit dre
rep points
this gona help me when i start cuttin my shit
Back to top Go down
RI5E2POW3R
DIPlomat
DIPlomat
RI5E2POW3R

Male

PostSubject: Re: A guide to cutting hair   A guide to cutting hair Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 4:04 pm

what do you guys use 2 clean your clippers?
is alcohol profiecent enuff?
Back to top Go down
KBezzy
Admin
Admin
KBezzy

Male
Number of posts : 425
Originated Wave Site : WB

Registration date : 2007-08-25

PostSubject: Re: A guide to cutting hair   A guide to cutting hair Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 2:05 pm

Andis has a spray they sell at wlamrt our any beauty supply its a 5 in 1. Check it out best shit out too me
Back to top Go down
andrelavelle
Superstar Spinna
Superstar Spinna
andrelavelle

Male
Number of posts : 229

Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: A guide to cutting hair   A guide to cutting hair Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 6:47 pm

RI5E2POW3R wrote:
what do you guys use 2 clean your clippers?
is alcohol profiecent enuff?

Nope alcohol isn't and can rust your blades. Oster makes a great blade wash. Andis make a great spray also look into barbacide you soak your blades in it combs ect. its great if you use your stuff on heads other than yours
Back to top Go down
RI5E2POW3R
DIPlomat
DIPlomat
RI5E2POW3R

Male

PostSubject: Re: A guide to cutting hair   A guide to cutting hair Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 7:04 pm

thankx alot fellas
and i noticed the alcohol have been rusting my clippers
but its time for a new set anyway
Back to top Go down
bigsam
New Kid on the Block
New Kid on the Block

Male
Number of posts : 3

Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: A guide to cutting hair   A guide to cutting hair Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 8:56 am

good, i like it Smile)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A guide to cutting hair   A guide to cutting hair Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A guide to cutting hair
Page 1 of 1